Sunday, January 12, 2014

Part One: Merry Christmas

I had an especially merry Christmas this year because my family arrived at the Kathmandu airport for two weeks in Nepal! As soon as they landed we headed up to Nagarkot for a few days to adjust to the altitude and the time difference. Some did better than others, but I won't name names...


Enjoying the mountain range from the Nagarkot view tower
Sisters in Nepal
Everest is the one on the right if you look at the two smaller peaks in the middle.
The summit is swept up in the clouds.
 



Mountain sunset from the Hotel at the End of the Universe in Nagarkot
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Christmas is about Joy and this year I experienced it in a new way as we shared, for a brief moment, your life in Nepal. What a delight and a joy that was for me. Joy at meeting the people who fill your life daily with smiles, with wonder, with questions, with desire, with reflection. I left you excited for you and excited for me. For your trip will have changed you, and in our short stay has started a change brewing in me too. As a Mom, I could not be more proud to see you so beautifully weaving bits of you into Nepalie life and allowing yourself to soak in the best they have to offer. I thank you for shaping our trip so we could taste so much of life in Nepal. I await the blossom of what that seed of experience will produce in both of us.
    धन्यवाद मेरो darling ,
    म तपाईंलाई प्रेम, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    It was wonderful to spend the holidays with you! A few of my favorites:
    -- Watching you in your classroom.
    -- Meeting your host family.
    -- The magnificent mountain views.
    -- Experiencing "Nepali flat". Or what is twice as steep as anything Mom and I walked trying to prepare for the trekking?
    -- Being amazed by the tropical lushness--tallest rhodadendron trees I've ever seen, crocidiles, rhinos, baby elephants, wishing Mom had some non-fleeced lined trekking pants!
    -- Soaring with eagles on the paraglide.
    -- Listening to the banter between you and Becca! Even though much of it was you guys laughing at how slow your parents were ;-)
    -- Watching you negotiate "non tourist" prices with the taxi drivers and shop owners (makes your frugal Dutch Dad very proud!)

    Thanks for organizing everything and allowing us to share in just a little bit of your Nepali adventure!

    Lv ya
    Dad

    ReplyDelete