Thursday, August 29, 2013

Uncountable

It seems like there are lots of “uns” in my life right now. Unimaginably beautiful landscapes everywhere I look that are constantly evolving under the rain, sun, and fog. Unfortunately large quantities of rice making their way through my digestive system. Unanswerable questions about development, equality, worth, virtue, etc. (Seemingly) unutterable phonemes differentiating one letter from another in this language that I am struggling to teach my tongue, and uncoordinated attempts at conversation. Undrinkable water. Unexplored paths. Ungrammatical lists of uns.
Separate from all of the uns that I am confronting, tomorrow I’m teaching my first real lesson on the topic of uncountables.
Prepping all of my flashcards -- thanks again to Christine Stone!
If you are unfamiliar (ha! that wasn’t even intentional!) with English grammar, uncountables are things like rice, paper, wood, and jam that you have “some of” rather than “one of.” As in “kind sir, may I please have some kerosene?” It’s kind of a tricky topic but I’ve got vibrantly colored flashcards and a solid lesson plan to support me. And even if all sorts of chaos breaks loose, I will not allow myself to come unraveled.

1 comment:

  1. This post was so unexpected as we just got a new post yesterday. I am so happy that you are no longer unable to go to school and are feel better. My prayer is that from this day forward you will be unaffected by any more digestive issues. As you teach today, may there be no unanswerable questions and the whole experience be unbelievable!
    love you for ever and always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete