Sunday, December 22, 2013

What Teachers Want

Teachers want
Less standardized testing
Smaller class sizes
More engaging in-service days
More appreciation
More leveled books
Less paperwork
Cuter classroom decorations

In America

I hope they get the chance to take risks and try new things without fear of falling test scores, job insecurity, and budget cuts. I hope different styles of teaching gain recognition like different styles of learning so that all teachers can succeed in a field where 50% leave within their first five years.

 

In Cameroon

Teachers want
Practical training instead of theories from the 1950’s
Enough textbooks for every child
Math manipulatives
Chalk

I hope they get a stable and honest government with a commitment to equally distributing materials and appropriately allocating resources. I hope they get opportunities for professional development. I hope they get a sense of satisfaction for doing so much with so little.
 

In Nepal

Teachers want
Smarter students
More consistent attendance
More time to finish the book
To sit in the sun

I hope they start setting goals and creating solutions more often than sitting back and asking “ke garne?” I hope they get support rather than empty resolutions on “continuous assessment” or “differentiated instruction.” I hope the ones who go above and beyond get rewarded; they deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment