Friday, November 1, 2013

Egnilsh as a Sencod Lagnuage

Egnilsh as a Sencod Lagnuage
Anglias com un duexiem lange
English as a second language
 

Even though I’m living in Nepal, English is everywhere. Stores, newspapers, flyers, and advertisements often feature the language they know will attract the attention of many tourists. But if you are a native English speaker you will quickly notice that the spellings and meanings aren’t always textbook quality.

Look back at the first three lines of this post. I bet most people who are reading this blog noticed that the first line was supposed to say “English as a Second Language” but the letters were all rearranged. But did you realize that all of the words in the second line were misspelled and the third line doesn’t make any sense at all? If you’re honest, probably not, unless you are already pretty familiar with French or one of the Devanagari languages. Even if you do speak a second language, think about how much harder it is to edit your own writing or how many little mistakes you make based on what you know from your first language.  

Below is a list of strange, silly, or just downright confusing English that I have seen recently. But as you are reading (and chuckling to yourself) do so with empathy and appreciation for the people who have tried their best to learn a second language and accommodate all of us Anglophones visiting Nepal.
 

On a clothing boutique: Fashion is our Fetish.
Not a slogan you see in American malls.

Above a bench in a museum: This seat saved for differently-abled people.
Part of me really likes the use of the phrase "differently-abled" and part of me finds it unnecessary to label benches.

Outside a Kodak picture shop: Metal itching and framing available here.
When your steel has an itch it just can't scratch.

Teachers trying to describe a rambunctious student: He moves with negligence.
(Turns out this one is a direct translation of a Nepali saying so there is some reasoning behind it.)
 
A school on the way to Kathmandu: People Centroid Academy
I'm sorry, the word we were looking for was centered.

And my personal favorite...
QUENCH YOUR THRUST WITH TRUST
TRIPURA BEVERAGE

2 comments:

  1. I have much respect for you and all the other ETA teachers learning yet another language. It has been very difficult for me. So I have kind of given up ever thinking I will be able to read Nepali but I am at least familiar with the sounds and some key words. As to reading signs written with incorrect English. Studies show that so long as the first and last letter is correct, our brains fill in the right letters. So no worries. Luv, Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel - I love reading your blogs and hearing about all your adventures! I thought I was commenting on earlier blog posts, but alas, I was doing something wrong, as they do not show up! Do know that all four of your relatives in Texas are following your adventures with great interest, prayers and not a small bit of jealously! Love you! Aunt Pamela

    ReplyDelete