Thursday, October 10, 2013

Once, Nope Twice in a Million

Is there a record in the Guinness book for most foreign countries within which a single traveler has been bitten in the back of the leg by a potentially rabid street dog?

That’s right folks. It happened again. You can’t make this stuff up.
*If you didn't know me during my semester in Cameroon, you can read about the first incident at this link: A Story to Tell*

Things that were the same: me, innocently walking along a well-traveled road, minding my own business, not approaching any animals and not transporting large quantities of raw meat or dog biscuits.

Things that were different: this time there were five dogs and the one that bit me was black not yellow. This time I put up a much better defense including rock throwing, yelling, kicking, defiant eye staring, and an attempt at telepathically informing the dogs that if they came any closer I would “rip off their limbs and beat them.” (The last strategy was shared with me by a concerned fellow Fulbrighter hoping to help get rid of the terrified smell that all dogs within a mile radius can apparently smell on me.) Apparently I would benefit from a self-defense class geared towards canine attackers.

Other notable facts surrounding the incident:

-          Hand sanitizer must be a fairly strong disinfectant because it stings like nobody’s business when you dump it into a fresh wound since it's the only available semi-medical supply.

-          The pharmacy in Nagarkot does not include the anti-rabies vaccine. Fortunately, I’ve already been down this road before and my shot series is recent enough that if I can’t get to a doctor for a day or two or five I probably won’t die. 

-          I will shamelessly be using the hole in my dress as an excuse to buy a brand new kurta.

Also, if dogs were not a deal-breaker before they certainly are now. The line has been drawn. More than before, I am officially a cat person. While I hate punishing the whole group because of an individual’s behavior, the entire dog species has lost any points they may have been regaining since the first time I was bit back in 2011. Me and dogs…we are NOT friends.

*Update*
I got the first of two shots on Thursday -- the bite took place on Tuesday -- and the wound is healing quite nicely :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Gosh Rachel! I just said to daddy something is just not right. We have heard nothing from Rachel since last week. Been praying for your safety but was more focused on your not falling of a mountain or something like that....silly me. So details please. was it the same leg? what did the dr say? who was with you? After the immediate threat was over did you get pictures and finally Was the view worth the bite?
    Know that I love you and am happy you now have a second chapter for your Book Dog bites around the World.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    Unbelievable. Glad you are OK.
    Mom just bought some trekking poles ... perhaps they would be useful in this situation? As the saying goes ... carry a big stick!
    Lv ya
    Dad

    ReplyDelete