Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Little Things

When I am teaching five classes a day
When I am subbing for second grade math or first grade social studies
When I agree to start a poetry club for middle schoolers
When teachers plead with me to teach them how to draw
When I'm not sure I know how to draw

When festivals make it seem like we never have school
When I become frustrated by another broken education system
When I crave Mexican food

When the kids are out of control
When a little boy is sobbing and I don't understand his Nepali explanation
When another teacher relies on yelling or hitting to maintain a semblance of order
When I just don't feel one hundred percent

When the power is on and off like a toddler is playing with the switch
When I've eaten enough rice for all of China
When six o'clock feel especially early

It's the little things I wrap my fingers around.


2 comments:

  1. Honey your words are so true. Even as a mom when life gets crazy and does not go as I had planned...it is indeed the little ones that grab your fingers and your heart and sometimes even the big ones do too. I so Love my little one that is now a big one!
    To the moon and back,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete