Thursday, June 27, 2013

It's All Relative

After returning from meaningful trips to places like rural Jamaica, Cameroon, and Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, I have been accused -- mostly by my sister -- of "getting all weird." By weird, she means I come back with a raw sensitivity to the uneven distribution of wealth, potable water, infrastructure, and a variety of other things I am guilty of too often taking for granted. Sometimes that comes out as cynicism toward random conveniences like washing machines or movie theaters; other times it means a sudden purge of my material possessions.

To be quite honest, it doesn't usually last very long. But when I look around and realize that I have grown desensitized it only reawakens my desire to escape my upper-middle-class-mostly-caucasian-doing-pretty-well bubble. I realize that I don't have to go to Nepal to do that, and I anticipate that there will be places in Nepal that feel just as urban and western as cities in the USA; but I am excited that over the next eight months I will be confronted with the relative nature of wealth, poverty, luxury, convenience, wants, and needs.


For instance, the average person in Nepal uses 99.38% less electricity than the average American; makes 97.41% less money and yet has 62.18% more children.*


It will be exhausting.
It will be emotionally challenging.
It will bring new depth to my worldview.
I can hardly wait.

*The facts presented above were found on If It Were My Home a website comparing countries around the world. Use the link to learn more about the United States and Nepal.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! My name is Chelsea and I'm best friends with a woman named Kat who knew you in elementary school. :) I am going to be a part of the Fulbright Korea program but am also interested in Nepal, so I plan on following your blog! Good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete